Cool & Easy Summer RecipesJuly 5, 2021
Summer is a time for fun activities, being with family and friends, and enjoying the warm weather. The last thing you want to do is cook over a hot stove while everyone else is having fun! So here are a few easy recipes from our Franklin team proven to cool you off and be a hit at your next summer gathering!
Sarah’s No-Bake Pink Lemonade Pie
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Chill Time: 1-2 hours
- 1 pre-made graham cracker crust
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 6oz frozen pink lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 4-5 drops red food coloring
- 1 8oz tub of whipped cream
Garnish Ideas: ½ cup shredded coconut, tinted pink OR Very thinly sliced lemon ring, twisted with mint leaf
- Use an electric mixer to beat cream cheese until smooth and fluffy. Gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl so it gets mixed evenly.
- Beat in lemonade concentrate and food coloring.
- Fold in ½ of the whipped topping. Pour into the crust. Invert plastic cover and re-crimp the edges. Freeze until firm (1-2 hours).
- Serve with remaining whipped topping and preferred garnish.
Nickole’s Hawaiian Lemonade
Ready in: 5 min
- 6 oz. frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
- ¾ cup water
- 12 oz. can apricot nectar, chilled
- Ice cubes
- 1 ¼ cups ginger ale, chilled
- Lemon slices (optional)
- In a pitcher combine lemonade concentrate and water
- Add apricot nectar and pineapple juice. Stir well.
- Add ice cubes, ginger ale, and lemon slices to garnish. Give another quick stir
- Serve immediately.
Jenae’s Spicy Honey Chicken & Mango Salad
Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
Yield: 4 large salads
2 tsp granulated garlic
2 tsp chili powder
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp coriander
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp chipotle chili powder
½ cup honey
1 tbsp cider vinegar
3 chicken breasts
1-2 heads Romaine lettuce
2 ripe but firm mangoes, chilled
2-3 ripe but firm avocados
½ cup Feta Cheese
¼ cup dried cranberries
- Combine the rub spices in bowl and mix well
- Trim off excess fat from chicken. Toss chicken with spice rub to coat all sides well. Grill chicken for 3-5 minutes on each side until cooked through.
- While chicken is cooking, warm honey in the microwave so it’s not so thick. Add vinegar and combine well. Brush onto chicken right after taking off the grill.
- Cut mango, romaine, avocado, and chicken into small, bite-sized pieces.
- Combine all ingredients in a salad bowl, toss and serve!
Chelsea’s Frozen Strawberry Pie
Prep Time: 30 min
Freeze Time: 4 hours
Yield: 8 servings
For the Crust:
- 12 graham cracker sheets
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
For the Filling:
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- ½ cup raspberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp water
- 4oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¾ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 Tbsp finely grated lemon zest plus ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
For the Topping:
- 3 Tbsp strawberry jelly
- 1 cup strawberries, halved
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Pulse the graham crackers and sugar in a food processor until finely ground. Add the melted butter and pulse until the mixture looks like wet sand. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch fluted tart pan. Place on a baking sheet and bake until lightly browned and set, 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Meanwhile, make the filling: Bring the strawberries, raspberries, sugar, and water to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until the liquid is syrupy and the fruit is very soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve, pressing gently on the solids with a rubber spatula; discard the solids. Let the syrup cool.
- If the cream cheese is a little stiff, soften it in the microwave in 10-second intervals. Beat the cream cheese in a large bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until smooth and creamy, about 30 seconds. Add the condensed milk and beat until smooth. Add the berry syrup and the lemon zest and juice and beat until smooth.
- In a separate large bowl, beat the heavy cream with clean beaters until medium peaks form. Gently fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture using a rubber spatula until no streaks remain. Spoon the filling into the crust and spread with the back of a spon. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until firm, at least 4 hours.
- About 10 minutes before serving, remove the pie from the freezer to soften slightly. Make the topping: Microwave the jelly in a medium microwave-safe bowl until runny, 20 to 30 seconds, then whisk until smooth. Add the strawberries and gently stir to coat. Let macerate for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the tart from the pan and transfer to a plate. Top with the strawberry mixture.